Friday, July 29, 2016

My Completed Series // Discussion (1)

Confession time.

I've not read a ton of series. When I was younger, I read a lot of series but never really completed them. Then as I slowly got back into reading, I read mainly standalones with pieces of series here and there.

Since one of my goals for myself this year was to finish/catch up on ten series, I figured it was about time to show you the ones I actually have completed. Once I finish more series I will make another part, but this is my list so far.

not read in this order

1.) The Hunger Games by 

Overall: 5/5 stars



This series has its faults, but to me, I can see no wrong. These books are easily one of my favorite series of all time. I love it in unique ways, but I've never reread the entire trilogy. I've always only reread Mockingjay or The Hunger Games.

I plan to reread the series in full soon, but at the moment it isn't on my list.

Would I recommend: yes, one thousand times yes.

2.) The Selection by 

Overall: 3/5 stars



Note that I did not read The Heir or The Crown because I do not have any intention on reading them, and ruining my view on the series. I plan on sticking to the original trilogy.

I loved The Selection and The One because of the fun atmosphere and the ease of the thoughtless read. The Elite was my least favorite book in the series and is the reason the overall rating is so low. I just found America to be very annoying the entire book.

Would I recommend: if you are interested in a thoughtless, fun read that contains drama or if a fan of contemporary because the book reads like one.

3.) Dark Visions by L.J. Smith

Overall: 4/5 (at the time of read)



I read this well over 3 years ago, and truthfully, I don't remember much of what happened. I remember that I read the three books in a matter of a day or two and really enjoyed them. They were fun and fast paced, and they were something that kept me reading.

Now that it had been a while since reading the books and because I've forgotten to much, I would say that these books are pure fun with not much else being taken away from them.

Would I recommend: if you're interested in a fun reading experience.

4.) The Vampire Diaries by L.J. Smith

Overall: 4/5 (at the time of reading)



I read these books in middle school right after finishing twilight. As someone who was just starting out, these books were quite amazing. I thought they were so much fun. I got so invested in the stories and characters that I didn't think I could get enough.

Since middle school, I have not revisited these books, and I'm not sure I plan to. I want to own the books for the nostalgic value that they have with me, but I also never plan on reading them again so I am torn.

Would I recommend: No. Though I loved these books as a middle schooler, I'm not sure how good they actually are.

5.) The Twilight Saga by 

Overall: 3.5/5 (at the time of reading)


This series was fun and something that I think a lot of people enjoyed reading. Personally, it made me fall in love with the idea of fantasy and made me want to try other things. I will continue to say that Tbe Vampire Diaries got me into reading, but I do think that this series gave the push I needed.

My favorite in the series was Breaking Dawn.

Would I recommend: if you've never read it, not really. I think if you missed the hype and the movie releases, then the series isn't really something that you need to have read.

6.) Vampire Academy by Richelle Meade

Overall: 4/5 stars


This was one of the first series that I read that has stuck with me. I read this in middle school, but there is something about this series that makes me want to read about boarding schools even though I dislike that school setting.

I think that this series is another that just stuck with me because the time that I read it, but I do plan on rereading it at some point in the near future.

Would I recommend: yes.

7.) The Pretty Trilogy by Jenny Han

Overall: 4/5


This is another series that was just really light and fun to read. I read the entire series in about 48 hours because the books just went by so quickly. They were so engrossing. I found Belly to be the most annoying in the last book, but I also have to say that before that she didn't bother me. I actually enjoyed her character and her innocence.

Would I recommend: if you like light and fluffy beach reads.

The Summer I Turned Pretty by Jenny Han (#1)

8.) The Chronicles of Vladimir Todd by Zac Brewer (formerly Heather Brewer)

Overall: 4/5 (at the time of reading)


This is yet another vampire series that I read while in middle school. By this trend, we can understand why I do not really enjoy reading vampire books now. This series was so much fun. I don't remember much about the writing style or world building, but when I was in middle school I  devoured these books. I couldn't get enough of the characters and story line.

Would I recommend: it's been too long for me to recommend

9.) Splintered trilogy by A.G. Howard

Overall: 4/5


I can see the faults people have in this series because the love triangle is really annoying. I feel like if you are reading this book only for Wonderland then you won't enjoy the second and third book. I feel like the books turn more towards the characters after book one and it focuses more on their lives and how they are dealing with it.

I will say that A.G. Howard has one of the most beautiful writing styles that I've ever seen. She has a way to twist words into beautiful pictures, but her style is also kind of dry at times. It always takes me 70-80 pages to really get invested in her books.

Would I recommend: if you don't like love triangles, don't even pick it up. If you could get over it for the atmosphere, then yes.

Ensnared by A.G. Howard (#3)

10.) The Lunar Chronicles by Marissa Meyer

Overall: 3.75/5


This one is kind of tricky to talk about. I started this series back in 2015 with Cinder which I was not really a fan of. I had planned on continuing the series but I never decided I wanted to buy the rest of the books when I would buy books for myself, but I was gifted the rest of the series (in exception to Fairest) for Christmas and my birthday.

I wasn't really attached to any of the characters other than Scarlet and though I really enjoyed reading about Leavanna, I can't say I was attached to her. She's one of my favorite book villains, but I'm okay with not reading about her anymore.

Would I recommend: I would recommend you try it, but the hype is so large that I'm afraid that the series would be a let down.

Scarlet by Marissa Meyer (#2)
Cress by Marissa Meyer (#3)
Fairest by Marissa Meyer (#3.5)
Winter by Marissa Meyer (#4)

What are some of your completed series?

 

No comments:

Post a Comment