Saturday, December 26, 2015

Review: The Summer I Turned Pretty by Jenny Han (Pretty Trilogy #1)

Title: The Summer I Turned Pretty

Author: Jenny Han

Page Count: 276 (softcover)

Publishing: Simon & Schuster

My Rating: 4/5 Stars

Synopsis: "Belly measures her life in summers. Everything good, everything magical happens between the months of June and August. Winters are simply a time to count the weeks until the next summer, a place away from the beach house, away from Susannah, and most importantly, away from Jeremiah and Conrad. They are the boys that Belly has known since her very first summer--they have been her brother figures, her crushes, and everything in between. But one summer, one terrible and wonderful summer, the more everything changes, the more it all ends up just the way it should have been all along." -Goodreads

Originally going into this book I expected annoying characters and an unstable plot line because it was told in summers, but the story was actually relatable and a nice addiction to my favorite summer contemporary reads. This book was fast paced, light hearted, and consuming. I finished this within a few hours and then started on the next one immediately.

The Summer I turned Pretty was easily one of my favorites of this series because we get to see so much of how Belly and the boys grew up in the beach house. This is important to a reader because we can see how life was with Susannah, the boys mother. The first story gave the series a nice base to start off the rest of the adventures. The first book was centered around being at The Cousins and it foreshadows the loyalty that is seen in the next two books. I felt like these books were written really well considering the what the story had to work with.

I really liked how these characters were not completely flat. For the time that we are around them I grew very attached to them. I felt it was fitting to make the story be centered around the cousins, and it reminded me a lot of We Were Liars because of the beachy setting.


No comments:

Post a Comment