Friday, June 24, 2016

Discussion // My Favorite Contemporary Authors


Lately, I have felt like recommending books and I've noticed that I was just recommending books by my favorite authors, so I feel like sharing my favorite authors would be much easier for that reason. So here is my list of favorite contemporary authors! I will be doing lists of my favorite authors for each genre until I can do a shortened list of my ALL TIME FAVORITE authors!


So since my favorite genre is Contemporary, I figured that would be the genre I'd start with! Some of these authors are super obvious, but I hope by sharing my favorite contemporary authors with you other people will discover their love for them as well!

John Green
Probably the most obvious one on this list is John Green. I will read anything this man writes. I own all of his books, and have read all but one. His stories are just my favorites to read about. I love his writing style, and him as a person. I will continue to support him throughout his career.


Though I love all his books, The Fault in Our Stars is my favorite book by him.

Morgan Matson
Another one of the more obvious authors on this list. I adore Morgan Matson's stories, and even though I've had issues with some aspects in one of her books, I love her books. I find her main characters relatable in some of the strangest ways. Of her four books, I've read two and loved them (for the most part). In both of the ones I've read, I have related to the main character, and loved how fun they were to read.

Rainbow Rowell
I adore Rainbow Rowell and the characters that she creates. I have read 2 of her 5 books, and I have loved the characters so much. The (few) issues that I had with the books came from other random things. I haven't read anything from her adult genre, but I do own Landline. I will continue to buy and read any contemporary story that she writes.

Matthew Quick
Matthew Quick is another author that I haven't read all of his books, but I fell in love with one in particular. The book that sold me on him was Forgive Me, Leonard Peacock, and I've decided to never look back. THIS BOOK hit me right in the feels. I can't wait to pick up another book buy him.

Jenny Han
When I am looking for a fun, lighthearted summer read, I will always go to Jenny Han. She is so great at writing books with innocence main characters that really allow you to watch them grow and develop. Though, I have some serious issues with the TATBILB duology (trilogy?), I still love her as an author!

I read the entire Summer I turned Pretty Trilogy last summer and adored every minute of it!

Laurie Halse Anderson
This author isn't a new author to me, but she is a new author to this list. I know that I have one author on here that I have only read one book of their's, but with Laurie Halse Anderson, I wanted to read more of her books. I have read Speak and Wintergirls, both of which I have LOVED. I just think that she deals with such hard topics so well, and like the next author, its so hard to be done well.

Ellen Hopkins
THESE BOOKS ARE JUST TRAGICALLY BEAUTIFUL OKAY? Ellen Hopkins can take a terrible topic (tragic not bad), and turn them into a beautiful masterpiece. Her writing style is so unique because she is one of the only authors that I've ever read from to write in free verse. Her stories always break my soul. 

Mitch Albom
*cough* the only adult fiction author on this list *cough*
Well well, I know what you're thinking. You're going to hear me go on about how much I love Mitch Albom's books and how they are beautiful, but honestly, I have problems with his books. Not many, considering he is on a list of my favorite authors and I continue to buy his books. but really, his books make me cry and make me question myself. Am I doing enough? Am I impacting someone? Do I give enough? His books do deal with a religious aspect, but I always ignore that part of them and really enjoy the story he creates.

Who are your favorite contemporary authors?

17 comments :

  1. JOHN GREEN IS MY FAVOURITE! You don't see a lot of people in the blogosphere actually liking his books, so everytime I see someone like his books I get really excited! I also really liked Mitch Albom's Tuesdays with Morrie, it was very emotional.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVE JOHN GREEN.
      I get what everyone means about his characters. I see the formula, but I look past it because I honestly adore his writing so very much.
      MITCH ALBOM IS BAE 5.0 BECAUSE ALL HIS BOOKS MAKE ME CRY.

      Delete
  2. I love this list! I've actually only read two of John Green's books: TFIOS (which I completely fell in love with - idk why so many people on GR hate it tbh lol) and Paper Towns, which was a little disappointing after the adventure that was TFIOS. I thought the ending was really anticlimactic.

    Morgan Matson's books are wonderful - I've loved Since You've Been Gone and The Unexpected Everything especially. I can't wait to see whatever she writes.

    I've also heard great things about Jenny Han's books, but haven't picked them up yet. I really need to, this summer!

    - Aila @ One Way Or An Author

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I adore John green's writing style. It's just so beautiful, and I can't read enough from him.
      I recommend the summer I turned pretty! It's such a cute little series and I read it within 48 hours!

      Delete
  3. Rainbow Rowell is definitely one of m favorites. I also love Stephanie Perkins and Jandy Nelson!

    x adevourerofbooks.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read any Jandy Nelson yet, but I really want to! I have I'll give you the Sun but I haven't picked it up. I think I might soon!

      Delete
  4. John Green.... ha.ha.ha... you know how I feel about him. I like The Fault in Our Stars, but beyond that... no thank you. I'll really have to pick up another Morgan Matson book sometime. I love Rainbow Rowell. I love all her books so far, with the exception of Landline which was a bit too boring and adult for me. I'm so glad you suggested that I read "Forgive Me, Leonard Peacock" because I ABSOLUTELY LOVED THAT BOOK SO MUCH!!! It's the only book from Matthew Quick I've read, but sometime I'll have to read his other works. Jenny Han... I have a strange relationship with her. I loved "To All the Boys I've Loved Before", but I disliked the sequel and hate her other two series... Ellen Hopkins... I read one book from her and I just couldn't take the writing style. It is not for me. I really liked "Tuesdays with Morrie".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TUESDAYS WITH MORRIE IS GLORIOUS!!
      I get it with John green. I can notice the formula he has when writing books, but I just find his writing style to be so beautiful and poetic that I can't help but love him, even if his characters aren't my favorite.
      I fell in love with Ellen Hopkins style! It was so free and beautiful in my opinion! Did you know crank is written about her daughter?

      Delete
  5. I also love John Green, Morgan Matson, Jenny Han, and Matthew Quick! What issues did you have with Morgan Matson's books? I'm extremely curious :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a love/hate relationship with her writing style! I love how she crafts a story, but I hate how long her characters are. I can't sit down and read her books in one sitting because if I want to read 3 chapters then I read about 75 pages. It just takes a lot out of me.

      Delete
    2. I definitely agree with that! Reading The Unexpected Everything made me realize just how long her chapters are.

      Delete
  6. Such a great collection of authors! Contemporary is probably my favorite genre to read, so I have lots o' favorites. I love Morgan Matson and Jenny Han, of course. I also love Sarah Dessen, Katie McGarry, Hannah Harrington, and J.H. Trumble. Love this post!

    - Lefty @ The Left-Handed Book Lover

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Contemporary is just so easy and fun to read. I've not read anything by Katie McGarry, but I would really like to! Do you have any recs for her or Sarah dessen?

      Delete
  7. One of my favorites is Sarah Dessen. I've read most of her books and I just love them. There's something so beautiful to them it just feels like coming home every time I reread them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never read Sarah Dessen! I've never really been interested in her stories, but at that time I didn't read ANYTHING but paranormal fantasy. I might give her a try!

      Delete
  8. I'm not a massive contemporary fan but I COMPLETELY agree with Ellen Hopkins and Laurie Halse Anderson. They bring the harshness and darkness that I prefer and combine it with contemporary to make such hard-hitting, eye-opening reads. I also liked the books I've read by Leila Sales, Meg Haston, and Holly Bourne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love darker contemporaries! I haven't read anything by those authors! I might have to check them out.

      Delete