Monday, December 28, 2015

Author Interview: Tammy Ferebee

Hello my wonderful readers!

Today I am bringing you an exclusive interview with the lovely author Tammy Ferebee. She recently released her debut Outsiders. I have read and reviewed this book, and if you're interested in reading then just click here.

Amazon | Goodreads | Barnes and Noble

First of all thank you so much Tammy for joining me today. I am so excited to have you answer these questions. We are going to be doing questions relating to being an author, the novel itself, and then also some short quick fun questions at the end.


Author Questions:

What made you decide to write young adult? I ask because in some of your earlier videos on YouTube you talk about how you were never really into it before and preferred Adult novels.

There’s so much diversity in adult fiction, which allowed me to find a great mix of characters within each story. As a teenager, I couldn’t find interesting, realistic, diverse, young adult fiction. It really bothered me to learn that many years later, as an adult, things haven’t changed that much. I wanted to create something that crossed genres and included a diverse group of teens. I wanted to create something for teenagers seeking diversity, something I would’ve enjoyed when I was that age.

During writers block, how did you push yourself to keep going in your story?

When I’d get a visit from my enemy, writer’s block, I’d always separate. I’d take a walk, listen to music, go somewhere fun, work on something unrelated, sit by beautiful scenery, etc. I don’t believe in forcing my writing. I like it to feel free, so I would wait until my characters spoke to me again. When I would hear their voices, I’d push forward and continue writing.

What was the big push for you to become an author?

I realized years ago that I can go without doing a lot of things, but I can’t stay away from writing. Becoming a published author became a need for me when I realized that I have stories in my head that can touch, entertain, and maybe even change the way some people think, not to mention, my characters won’t leave me alone. I want to write for a living. I knew that in order to be able to do that, I need to publish my work.

Novel Questions:

How did you create such complex characters? (you don't have to give away your huge secrets)

These characters just started talking to me. When it came to making them well-rounded and interesting, I stayed away from the extremes. I don’t like stereotypical extremes at all. Michael is hot, but not every hot guy is a rebel, with a bad attitude, and no respect. Jaylen is African American, but not all African American girls are from the hood, speak unintelligently, and come from Christian households. Indigo is gorgeous and desired, but she doesn’t spend every moment obsessing about her beauty and boys. I wanted them to be different from one another and from humans, but have enough humanlike qualities that readers can relate to them. More than anything, I wanted them to have humanlike brains. I mean, what’s more complex than a human’s mind? I wanted them to all be intelligent, have thoughtful conversations, emotional struggles, etc. These things helped to make them complex.

Do you know when we will be getting a sequel to Jaylen's journey? Also do you know how many books you would like to write in this world?

There is no set release date for the sequel, but for sure, it will be a 2016 release. I’m planning for the Outsiders series to be a trilogy.

With this story you have stepped out of every YA readers comfort zone, and I just wanted to ask how did you decide to make this brave move?

That’s just me as a writer. I enjoy creating different characters and stories. I can’t be a trend follower because I don’t like playing it safe or redoing what’s already been done. Within my stories, I have the opportunity to be as different, as wild, and as whatever else as I want to be. I love to be shocked when I read, so I am super comfortable taking risks in my own writing. I don’t mind possibly upsetting others as long as I’ve created something I can be proud of.

Fun Stuff:

What is your favorite book/author?

I don’t have one, believe it or not. I have a few favorite books and authors. I love Genevieve by Eric Jerome Dickey, The Color Purple by Alice Walker, The Great Gatsby by F Scott Fitzgerald, and Crank by Ellen Hopkins. (Just to name a few)

What encouraged you to create your YouTube Channel?

I thought YouTube would be a great way to reach more teens, share my love of reading and writing, and possibly help other indie authors with the publishing process. It took me a year to actually post my first video. I usually run from cameras, but I actually enjoy filming now.

If you were on an island, what is the one thing that you would want with you?


Assuming this is a mommy-off-duty vacation, and I’ll see my babies soon, I’d take food. I know fire, a boat, and water are really important things, but I am not pleasant unless I’m well fed. I’m such a foodie!


 Author Bio:

Tammy Ferebee lives and writes in Baltimore, Maryland. She is the proud mother of two, enjoys eating unhealthy amounts of chocolate, and loves binge-watching The Golden Girls.

Blurb:

Something greater than human…

Jaylen Hayes knows that she is different from all other seventeen-year-old girls. Possessing extraordinary intelligence, she is also uncannily powerful and inexplicably hated by wild animals. But it is not until she transfers to Trinity High that she learns the truth about who—and what—she really is.

Instinctively drawn to two new classmates—the intense and passionate Indigo, and the charismatic and breathtakingly gorgeous Michael—Jaylen soon learns the shocking secret of their shared heritage, and the bloodline that extends to the stars. However, all is not what it seems, and Jaylen soon finds her newfound security threatened when a trusted friend becomes a dangerous and vengeful enemy.

Author Links: YouTube | Goodreads | Twitter

No comments:

Post a Comment