Tuesday, June 21, 2016

Winter by Marissa Meyer (The Lunar Chronicles #4)

Title: Winter

Author: Marissa Meyer

Page Count: 824 (hardcover)

Synopsis: "Princess Winter is admired by the Lunar people for her grace and kindness, and despite the scars that mar her face, her beauty is said to be even more breathtaking than that of her stepmother, Queen Levana.

Winter despises her stepmother, and knows Levana won’t approve of her feelings for her childhood friend—the handsome palace guard, Jacin. But Winter isn’t as weak as Levana believes her to be and she’s been undermining her stepmother’s wishes for years. Together with the cyborg mechanic, Cinder, and her allies, Winter might even have the power to launch a revolution and win a war that’s been raging for far too long.

Can Cinder, Scarlet, Cress, and Winter defeat Levana and find their happily ever afters?" -Goodreads
Even though I found this conclusion to be entertaining and satisfying, I didn't walk away with many thoughts. The characters that I had grown to know didn't really impress me in the final installment of this series. There were a few really cute moments between certain characters, and there were a lot of times were I got super emotional (due to said cute moments) but other than that I wasn't so shocked.

The conclusion of this novel was what I wanted to happen, but it also wasn't. There were characters that I wanted to continue on with, but they were pushed to the side. One of these characters being Winter. Though this is her book, there isn't much of her. A majority of the chapters are in either Cinder or Kai or Leavana's point of view. We don't see as much from our other main character's as I would have hoped.

I also found some aspects to be reminiscent of The hunger games? The way each of the sectors are divided and the way the sacrifices happen are two things that struck me as I'd read it before. I could be a little harsh because it is a book about a rebellion and a war, but those were some small things I noticed.

My last big problem was that I found myself leaving the story and not really gaining anything. Yeah things happen, and yeah the characters make accomplishments, but why don't I feel like jumping for joy? Why don't I feel sad? Why don't I feel anything but... Apathetic?

What I did like:
• seeing Luna
•scarlet
•scarlet & wolf
•cress & Thorne
•Leavana
•winter (from what I saw of her)
•space


What did you think of Winter? Let's talk about it in the comments.

6 comments :

  1. I'm sorry to hear you weren't totally satisfied with Winter. I really enjoyed Winter, it definitely wasn't my favorite of the series as I felt it was a bit too long but I still definitely walked away feeling tons of feels.

    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoyed parts of it, but I just think I was expecting much more. Glad you enjoyed it!! (:

      Delete
  2. Sad to hear this didn't wow you! When I read it, I completely loved it. Maybe I was reading with rose-colored glasses, but I'm happy with it. My favorite of the series was Cress, but I feel like Winter is a solid conclusion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My favorite in the series was Scarlet, but also really enjoyed Fairest!

      Delete
  3. Sad to hear you didn't enjoy it as much. I loved it when I read it last year but you are right that some characters kind of got pushed to the side. I needed way more Thorne in my life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I NEEDED S O M U C H MORE SCARLET. WHY PUSH THE BBY AWAY

      Delete