Monday, July 4, 2016

Marley & Me by John Grogan

Title: Marley & Me

Author: John Grogan

Pages: 291 (paperback)

Synopsis: "John and Jenny were just beginning their life together. They were young and in love, with a perfect little house and not a care in the world. Then they brought home Marley, a wiggly yellow furball of a puppy. Life would never be the same.

Marley quickly grew into a barreling, ninety-seven-pound streamroller of a Labrador retriever, a dog like no other. He crashed through screen doors, gouged through drywall, flung drool on guests, stole women's undergarments, and ate nearly everything he could get his mouth around, including couches and fine jewelry. Obedience school did no good—Marley was expelled. Neither did the tranquilizers the veterinarian prescribed for him with the admonishment, "Don't hesitate to use these."

And yet Marley's heart was pure. Just as he joyfully refused any limits on his behavior, his love and loyalty were boundless, too. Marley shared the couple's joy at their first pregnancy, and their heartbreak over the miscarriage. He was there when babies finally arrived and when the screams of a seventeen-year-old stabbing victim pierced the night. Marley shut down a public beach and managed to land a role in a feature-length movie, always winning hearts as he made a mess of things. Through it all, he remained steadfast, a model of devotion, even when his family was at its wit's end. Unconditional love, they would learn, comes in many forms." -Goodreads

Disclaimer some possible spoilers about the ending, but I knew the spoilers and still loved this book; therefore, carry on at your own risk.

Beautifully heartbreaking.

I have noticed a trend when it comes to reading non-fiction books about sad stories, and that trend is that they tend to be my favorite stories to read. They always really captivate me and suck me into the story I'm reading. Regardless of this book being 289 pages of loving on an energetic dog and reading the life of his owner, the book made me physically attached to Marley. I took everything that happened to him literally. He was my dog too while reading this story because all I could think about was my dog- any dog really because puppies- and how heartbreaking it would be/is to lose them. Dogs are the kindest souls, why do they ever have ever have to die?

I know that this book isn't for everyone because I know some people do not care about the life of a young reporter because if this wasn't my subject of interest, I wouldn't care either. I'm going into the world of news and reporting so being able to read Grogan's experiences were actually interesting and helpful for me. I thought they were really insightful and raised many questions for me when regarding what my career might one day look like.

I ate this book up until half way through it because I knew there couldn't be much more happy left. I wasn't ready to let go of Marley and "our adventures" together as I turned the pages. I finally buckled down and finished the last 80 pages. I knew I would hate myself, but I needed to say my goodbyes just like this family.

I cried for three chapters straight to only stop reading when I needed to wipe my eyes because I couldn't see or to yell that I hated myself for putting my fragile heart through such a tragic experience and my nose through 30 minutes of being unable to breathe.

If you haven't read this book and are put off by because you've been "spoiled" don't let it stop you. This book is already my favorite book of the year, and it's only March.


Have you read Marley & Me? If so, what did you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment