Thursday, December 17, 2015

Review: The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater (#1 The Raven Cycle)

Title: The Raven Boys
Author: Maggie Stiefvater
Page Count: 408 (hardcover)
Publishing: Scholastic Press
My Rating: 5/5 stars
Synopsis: “There are only two reasons a non-seer would see a spirit on St. Mark’s Eve,” Neeve said. “Either you’re his true love . . . or you killed him.”
It is freezing in the churchyard, even before the dead arrive.
Every year, Blue Sargent stands next to her clairvoyant mother as the soon-to-be dead walk past. Blue herself never sees them—not until this year, when a boy emerges from the dark and speaks directly to her.
His name is Gansey, and Blue soon discovers that he is a rich student at Aglionby, the local private school. Blue has a policy of staying away from Aglionby boys. Known as Raven Boys, they can only mean trouble. But Blue is drawn to Gansey, in a way she can’t entirely explain. He has it all—family money, good looks, devoted friends—but he’s looking for much more than that. He is on a quest that has encompassed three other Raven Boys: Adam, the scholarship student who resents all the privilege around him; Ronan, the fierce soul who ranges from anger to despair; and Noah, the taciturn watcher of the four, who notices many things but says very little.
For as long as she can remember, Blue has been warned that she will cause her true love to die. She never thought this would be a problem. But now, as her life becomes caught up in the strange and sinister world of the Raven Boys, she’s not so sure anymore. From Maggie Stiefvater, the bestselling and acclaimed author of the Shiver trilogy and The Scorpio Races, comes a spellbinding new series where the inevitability of death and the nature of love lead us to a place we’ve never been before.

The Raven Boys is not the tale of romance that is expected when reading the synopsis. The story is focused around adventure and friendship. These characters are beautifully written, and have so many elements to making them realistic. In this first book these characters are already fleshed out and have their own personalities that allow us to really capture what they can each bring to the story. Not only did I love these main characters and their friendships, but I also loved the side characters. They were so awesome and funny. I felt like they were great additions to the story and allowed our story to become more complex.
The writing is beautiful and whimsical. The author does an amazing job of foreshadowing events throughout the story without making it completely obvious. I hadn't even noticed that the foreshadowing until after I read the event. It made me want to go back to the sections where I remembered something sticking out in my mind, so I could beat myself up for not figuring it out sooner. Even though it took me a couple chapters to get invested in this story, once I did I fell into the story and found myself reading 50 to 100 pages without even realizing it.
There are so many plot twist that just left me speechless. I felt myself get nervous at points in the story when they are searching through the magical ley-lines. I felt my face get red as I tried to silently warn them that something seemed wrong, and maybe this adventure would turn into something very dangerous.
This book was beautiful, and there were so many moments where I laughed out loud. I could not express how amazing this book is. I wish I wouldn't have waited so long to read it. I am more than excited to read the rest of these books. I recommend it to anyone. If you can't get into the writing give it at least 100 pages before putting it down.

No comments:

Post a Comment