Thursday, December 17, 2015

Review: Obsidian by Jennifer L. Armerntrout (Lux #1)

Title: Obsidian
Author: Jennifer L. Armentrout
Page Count: 335
Publishing: Entangled Teen
Synopsis: “Starting over sucks. When we moved to West Virginia right before my senior year, I’d pretty much resigned myself to thick accents, dodgy internet access, and a whole lot of boring… until I spotted my hot neighbor, with his looming height and eerie green eyes. Things were looking up. And then he opened his mouth Daemon is infuriating. Arrogant. Stab-worthy. We do not get along. At all. But when a stranger attacks me and Daemon literally freezes time with a wave of his hand, well, something… unexpected happens. The hot alien living next door marks me. You heard me. Alien. Turns out Daemon and his sister have a galaxy of enemies wanting to steal their abilities, and Daemon’s touch has me lit up like the Vegas Strip. The only way I’m getting out of this alive is by sticking close to Daemon until my alien mojo fades. If I don’t kill him first, that is.” – Goodreads

 This story has a very addictive nature. In the first 3 chapters I hated Daemon Black’s character. He was moody, arrogant, and bitter. I was not seeing his appeal. The main character seemed annoying a flat in the beginning as well, but then as the story went on I started to related to our main character at a new level. I felt a connection spark between us as I was reading about her. I could feel her happiness when she would receive books in the mail and I could feel the tension she had with Daemon building up to dramatic scenes. I don’t think this book is the most well written book I’ve read, and I don’t think that this will stay one of my favorite book series of all time, but for right now I love reading it. It is fun, face paced, and addictive. It’s something that I can’t pull myself away from. The characters were something that I enjoyed the most about this book. I felt like each of them were different and made their way into my heart as individuals rather than a clump of side characters.
I did have a few problems with this novel, but they were all towards the beginning of the story.  I had a problem with how frequently the author used the word sexy to describe Daemon. I felt like he was more of an object of sexualization than he was a character of interest. Even when the mother points out how hot he was, it made me very uncomfortable. I was reminded of Twilight while reading, but I expect better from the books to come.
I recommend this book if you are looking for something that will keep you wanting to read more. If you want something that is gripping, exciting, and fun then this is the story for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment