Monday, August 29, 2016

The Kiss of Deception by Mary E. Pearson (The Remnant Chronicles #1)

Title: The Kiss of Deception

Author: Mary E. Pearson

Pages: 486 (hardcover)

Synopsis: "A princess must find her place in a reborn world.

She flees on her wedding day.

She steals ancient documents from the Chancellor's secret collection.

She is pursued by bounty hunters sent by her own father.

She is Princess Lia, seventeen, First Daughter of the House of Morrighan.

The Kingdom of Morrighan is steeped in tradition and the stories of a bygone world, but some traditions Lia can't abide. Like having to marry someone she's never met to secure a political alliance.

Fed up and ready for a new life, Lia flees to a distant village on the morning of her wedding. She settles in among the common folk, intrigued when two mysterious and handsome strangers arrive—and unaware that one is the jilted prince and the other an assassin sent to kill her. Deceptions swirl and Lia finds herself on the brink of unlocking perilous secrets—secrets that may unravel her world—even as she feels herself falling in love." -Goodreads

I was so excited to read The Kiss of Deception. This was one of the books that I've been so in the mood to dive into, but I never had the time to fully commit to.

I found the characters to be kind of flat, and they held little personality. I didn't really connect to our main character, and though she may have a better story arc in book 2, she fell flat for me. The other main characters were another example of that. I found that the two other character were easily confused because even though I could have swore I saw all of the threads weave together, my prediction was still wrong.

The plot twist in the book was a surprise because my prediction for the twist was wrong, but it was predictable that the author was going to try to shock her audience. The plot twist itself actually pissed me off. It caused me to knock half a star off the book because I was so angry. In the beginning, I was routing for the love interest because I thought he was someone else entirely, and then afterwards, I was no longer interested in the characters relationship.

The book's pacing was very slow, and not a lot of anything happened until about half way through the book. The book felt like it took forever to get through, but the world itself was unique and beautifully portrayed. I found the world to be very refreshing. The atmosphere felt like nothing I had visited before in literature, and I was truly in grossed in the setting.

The book was writing in a beautiful prose that gave me a feeling of the medieval era which added an element I really appreciated.

Overall, I'm not as pleased as I would have liked to of been by the first book in this series, but I am still very excited to continue and see where the stories goes. I am hopeful for more development in the characters and pacing now that the world has been established.


Have you read The Kiss of Deception? If so, what did you think?





No comments:

Post a Comment